[NotiAMCA] Postdoc positions available in the area of Uncertainty Quantification at ICES, UT Austin.

Vie Feb 24 17:16:13 ART 2012

Dear friends,

If you know some candidate for the many opportunities we have at ICES,
UT Austin, which are outlined below, I would appreciate if you could
forward this e-mail to her/him.

A number of postdoc positions involving

(1) uncertainty quantification and stochastic algorithms,
(2) numerical optimization (constrained, integer programming),
(3) numerical analysis (FEM, Newton's method, preconditioners),
(4) software engineering (C++, FORTRAN, object oriented design,
version control, Linux),
(5) high performance computing (MPI), and
(6) multiphysics modeling (various physical models, e.g. for fluids,
chemical reactions, turbulence),

are available at the Institute of Computational Engineering and
Sciences (ICES), at The University of Texas at Austin. ICES
(www.ices.utexas.edu) provides a worldwide unique environment for
truly interdisciplinary research.

There is opportunity for theoretical work, but the emphasis is on
practical research, using (and improving) mathematical algorithms,
parallel computing and complex software libraries to tackle very
challenging scientific and engineering problems, many of them in
collaboration with US National Laboratories and other academic
institutes, under the sponsor of various US agencies, such as DOE, NSF
and AFOSR. US Citizenship is not required.

We are looking for candidates who have a strong mathematical
background (any combination of (1), (2), and (3), but preferably (1)),
demonstrated expertise on (4), and at least familiarity with (5). Some
background on (6) is desirable, but not mandatory. We are also looking
for candidates who are self-driven, have clear thinking, have good
writing skills, communicate themselves well, know how to breakdown
complex problems into smaller ones, and enjoy interacting with
multi-disciplinary teams of mathematicians, engineers and computer
scientists.

Some positions are available immediately, while others will become
available throughout the year. Please email your application,
including a CV, to either

Dr. Ernesto Esteves Prudencio ( prudenci en ices.utexas.edu ), or
Professor Omar Ghattas ( omar en ices.utexas.edu ), or
Professor Robert Moser ( rmoser en ices.utexas.edu ),

with the e-mail subject title "UQ opportunities at ICES"